Pages

Wednesday 11 November 2015

5 things no one tells you about being a mummy

When people find out you are pregnant, they cannot wait to jump on the band wagon and give you little pieces of advice (sometimes helpful and sometimes definitely not!) But there are some things that people leave out or fail to mention. To be honest I think if everyone knew all the truths and facts about becoming a parent, there may be a few less children in the world!
I have always been a baby person and been very involved with friends children, so I thought I knew quite a bit about babies. As it turns out, I was quite wrong and motherhood has been a huge learning curve for me!
Below are a few things that no one told me about becoming a mother... and I sort of wish they had!

You no longer have time for baths.
Have you ever read The Large Family '5 minutes peace' by Jill Murphy? I used to love it as a child and I found it absolutely hilarious! Now I totally get where mummy elephant is coming from and is no where near as funny now I am mummy elephant (in every sense after the number of teacakes I have consumed in the past 3 days!)
There is no time for baths when you are a mummy. A 5 minute shower if you're lucky where you only manage to shave one leg and forget to wash the conditioner out of your hair!
The only plus side to this is on the rare occasion that you do have time for a bath, it is the most wonderful thing in the world. Make sure you savour every second and have candles and a glass (*cough* BOTTLE *cough*) of wine with you.

You will no longer have a handbag.
Now to be fair people did tell me this. I naively thought I would carry round my beautiful Mulberry bag with me as well as the baby changing bag. As it turns out, this is not really very practical. Funnily enough when you are already carrying a car seat, a changing bag that weighs 5 tons, a dummy, a blanket, your child's favourite toy and probably a snotty baby wipe, you don't have a spare hand for your beloved handbag. Instead you have to shove your purse, phone and keys in the changing bag and hope they don't come out covered in milk or strawberry puffs (spoiler alert - they probably will)

You will have to make polite conversation with every single person you meet.
Even if you don't know them. In fact more often than not they will be a total stranger. Don't get me wrong, I think its lovely that people are friendly and take an interest in babies. But when you've had a crap night and have an over tired baby who needs to get home for lunch which you are already late for, the last thing you want to do is stand in Tesco and discuss whether your baby is a good sleeper (surely you can tell from my face that they most definitely are not?!)

There will be a point where you want to kill your husband.
Even if he has done nothing wrong and everything right, you will find yourself so irrationally angry and sleep deprived that there is a high chance you will ask Siri where you can hide a body. Of course after a glass of wine you calm down and realise that if you actually killed your husband, that you would have to get the wine from the fridge yourself. So you decide to keep him around.. at least for the moment.

You will feel a different kind of love to anything you have ever experienced.
Its funny - people tell you that you'll love your baby in a way that you can't imagine. And you nod along and think you know what they are talking about. But until you hold that little person that you made and carried for the first time, there is no way on earth that you can even begin to imagine how fiercely protective you will feel of that little life. Or how close to bursting you will feel when they smile at you and put their hand on your face. Or how proud yet petrified you will be when they sit up for the first time and you realise they're no longer a helpless little baby.


What have you learnt since becoming a mummy? Do you wish you had known before you had your little one? Or are you glad you got to find out along the way?





Mami 2 Five

15 comments:

  1. Love it! So true...
    I think you have no choice but to learn along the way as no matter how much advice and helpful tips you are given nothing ever really prepares you for becoming a mummy. I do sometimes wish I could start again and really savour each stage rather than fretting and wishing for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the worst for wishing the next stage to come! X

      Delete
  2. I've learnt that the days are long but the years are short. Some days I feel like i'll never get through yet here I am with an almost 5year old. It doesn't seem possible.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This can only be written by someone who has experienced motherhood, if you have more children you might think you couldn't possibly share the same love over more children, but somehow the love keeps dividing and growing each time. #SundayStars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wonder how I have room for so much love! X

      Delete
  4. This is so true. The love you feel is so different and so intense. In a week where both my children have had a sickness bug and soaring temperatures, the feeling of helplessness almost destroys you because you can't help the little people you love so much. #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not fair that little ones get poorly really :-( x

      Delete
  5. How true these things are! Especially the love. #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very hard in the beginning, but it gets better. It will feel easier when you get used to the whole parenting thing. I keep reminding myself that it's all about practice To get good at anything, one needs to practice. I read somewhere that 10000 hours of practice makes you a master?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case I am most definitely a mummy master!

      Delete
  7. All of that, totally agree! Today I got to have a morning shower for about the 3rd time this year, it was wonderful! #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning showers are bliss. And even better when it's a shower by yourself! X

      Delete
  8. Very true - all of it.

    I didn't understand why mums had coats with hoods. Until I tried pushing a buggy with an umbrella. Impossible. One of my first purchases was a parka with a hood. Not my usual style but needs must!

    I also ditched any kind of heeled shoe. To be expected but I love them.

    I think you need to work these things out as you go but if your baby still naps please please make the most of it. I have a 20m old who has decided that naps are for wimps. I wish I'd not listened to these books that say toddlers can nap until they are 4. Yes they can but many don't! Yaaaaaah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I learnt the umbrella one early on! I'm making the most of naps, although they are short and infrequent! Xxx p.s I was a heels girl - I miss them!

      Delete
  9. Ahhh lovely post and SO true :) Yes to them all!!! Thanks for sharing - Jess xx

    #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...